Friday, July 10, 2009

Vacation Day 7

Today we drove over to Slidell, LA to go on the Honey Island Swamp Tour. If you ever have a chance, I highly recommend. Our cajun tour guide, Pirate Jack, actually... Captain Jack took us up and down the West Pearl River to show us how people lived and some of the highlights of the wildlife found there.

So this is the swamp. Just what you would expect, but I love those Cypress "knees".
















The had a few stow aways.
















This big tree in the middle of the picture was the oldest tree in the swamp. Captain Jack is guess about 500 years old.




















We all got front row seating.
















Tom and our little prince enjoying some redneck air conditioning.
















There were 4 turtles on this limb, but I was fast enough only to catch a pic of the bravest one.
















The swamp gets its name because the indians use to collect honey from the bees in the trees of this swamp. The dark spot on the bottom "Y" branch is the entrance to this hive. I had to use binoculars, but I could see the bees going in and out.




















The environment is constantly changing down there. I just needed this pic of a huge fallen tree that had floated down during the wet season to find a new home on the cypress knees, where it will be forever.




















This is a blue herron fishing carefully next to the shore.
















I can't believe I actually caught this picture. This was a white heron that watched us carefully come up the river. We didn't get very close before she spooked and flew off. Her wingspan is 6ft.




















I just love these birds. They look so statuesque. And they were everywhere.















And there was no shortage of gators. This little 5 footer was not interested in any marshmellows Captain Jack offered.















This was Captian Jack's favorite alligator. She was a 200lb, 13 ft, 50 year old female. In retrospect, I should have videoed this, but I was so excited I just took as many pictures as I could.















She came RIGHT up to the boat. The best part... WE GOT TO PET HER!!!!
















Here is Captain Jack picking up her foot to show off her claws.
















Let's not kid ourselves. It was all about the hot dogs.
















And pretty soon we had other smaller gators wanting in on the action.















No comments:

Post a Comment